Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Monday, September 28, 2009

May 29, 2007-- The Worst Day of My Life




Travis and I were walking around my grandparents’ subdivision in Hancock County. We were talking about a party that was two days away. There was a breeze blowing off the river.
“We’ve got to go to that party, everyone’s saying it’s supposed to be the best party of the summer,” he told me. I could tell by the look in his grey eyes that he really wanted to go to this one.
“Alright, alright we’ll go,” I said laughing.
Later that night my aunt told me she needed a sitter for the 29th, the day of the party.
“Can’t you get someone else me and Travis have plans?” I’d begged

“I’m sorry, but you’re the only person that can do it on short notice. You and Travis can hang out Friday.”
“Fine,” I’d finally said.
I called Travis and told him I couldn’t go. At first he said he wouldn’t go but I said I didn’t mind him going without me. He told me he’d stop by afterwards to tell me how it was. We didn’t go to parties often because of the drinking and stuff that went on there, we felt a little awkward because we were some of the few that weren’t doing that. Well 1:00 AM rolled around and no Travis. At 1:30 his mother called me and said she was on her way to pick me up and not to ask questions. I got in the car with her and to my surprise we crossed the Tell City bridge and went to Perry County hospital. Immediately my heart dropped into my stomach. While we waited his mother explained that while he was on his way home a drunk driver slammed into his car. Then everyone was quiet. The only thing I heard was a buzzing. There was a sickly clean smell in the air. When the doctor came out I thought they were going to let me go see him and he’d be fine. Then he shook his head sadly and told us they couldn’t save him. I got extremely dizzy and the air felt thick and hard to breathe. There was a massive lump in my throat and I hit my knees. I didn’t stop crying for four days. I couldn’t eat or sleep. Every year on his birthday and the Sunday nearest the 29th his friends and family all get together at our church and have a memorial. Every time I hear his name I feel a pang in my heart. Every time I hear someone talking about how wasted they got over the weekend and how they drove home anyway, my blood boils.

No comments:

Post a Comment